Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Just an update from the doctor today:
1) My tumor is between 5 and 7cm. I'll go through a CT scan on 6/9 which will tell me exactly what stage I'm in.
2) The MRI indicated that my bones and liver look okay (i.e., hopefully has not metastasized).
3) The cancer is estrogen responsive (or something like that), which is good.
4) The current plan is to go through 4 to 6 months of chemo, followed by surgery, followed by radiation. I'll also be having hormonal therapy, which I think is like instant menopause.
5) May be able to just get a lumpectomy, but it sounds more likely that I will need at least a single mastectomy.
6) If the cancer has a genetic component (statistics would say this is likely), I will want to consider a double mastectomy.

Other notes:
1) I have an appointment with the medical oncologist (i.e. chemo doctor) on Monday at Hershey
2) I'm getting a 2nd opinion at Hopkins on Tuesday.

I'm feeling a little raw and shell shocked right now, but hopefully a good night's sleep will perk me back up. In better news, I got my dictation notes, and they mentioned that I was "lovely" and "pleasant" (but also "appropriate," so they might have gotten the wrong patient).

No comments:

Post a Comment